Thinking about selling? Get an instant online evaluation, for free.
Home Seller's Guide
Which items will add value to your home and help with resale when the time comes to sell?
We get asked this question all the time, and the short answer is: “Only the ones that future buyers will also want and be willing to pay for.” You can make all kinds of improvements, but the trick is to make those that the market will recognize and bring you the highest return.
As a general rule, choosing functionality over the merely cosmetic, and choosing neutral over the unusual or exotic will tend to pay off at resale. Taste and current trends can also affect the value of any home remodel or update. Exotic, unusual colors tend to have a much more limited appeal.
Which updates will add the most value to your home? It depends, but in our region of the country natural light, access to outdoor living space(s), pools, spas, etc., all tend to have universal appeal. Here are a few others:
- Update your kitchen and/or bathrooms. Whether you need a minor or major remodel, updating the kitchen or bathrooms in your home will yield a high return on investment. Stay timeless with your updates, but also pay attention to current trends.
- Increase usable space. Add an extra bathroom, upgrade or expand your kitchen and/or master bedroom suite, add more closet space, or convert an unused space to a more functional space, like a spare bedroom to a home office. In today's market, home offices are particularly appealing.
- Lighten and brighten your rooms. Paint rooms with lighter, brighter colors to neutralize your space and increase it's appeal. Add skylights, windows, or French doors, if possible.
- Revamp the exterior. Updated landscaping, i.e. curb appeal, will draw buyers in before they even walk through the door. Keep your shrubs, trees, and grass trimmed and tidy. Add a splash of color with vibrant plants or by painting the front door an eye-catching color. Consider a focal point like a flagstone walkway or a water feature.
If you're considering selling your NorCal home, submit the form below and we'll put our experience, the global power of the RE/MAX brand, and the marketing resources necessary to get you moving! Here are a few of the things you can expect:
- Free, Professional Home Evaluation: A well-priced home can create a competitive environment with potential buyers. Conversely, an overpriced home can create disappointment with buyers, resulting in the listing sitting on the market and becoming stagnant or stale. Our free market analysis takes into account the most actively searched prices and home values in the area, and provides you with a detailed evaluation that puts it all in perspective. Enter your information in the box at the top of the page and get an instant, online home evaluation.
- Sell with a Professional: Our custom marketing plan is based on decades of experience, and will take the guesswork out of selling your home. From professional advice on properly staging and positioning your property, to negotiating a great deal, to closing the escrow, we'll be there for you the entire way.
- Free Home/Landscaping Prep and Staging Consultation: Often there are a number of things that will make your home stand out, and position you to get top dollar. Our experience knowing what buyers look for and pay for will be invaluable to you.
- Professional Photography and Videography: You can tell the difference between professional photos and ones taken with someone's phone - and so can potential buyers. If we're going to polish your house up, let's show it off!
- Social Media Marketing Campaign: We'll create digital marketing assets for your home and use them to tastefully post your home across social media.
- Single-Property Website: In addition to posting your listing all across multiple internet portals, we'll also create a specific website for your home and use that as another online marketing tool.
- High-Quality, Professional Color Flyers: High-quality flyers are important to make your property stand out.
- Professional Transaction Coordinator: We provide a transaction coordinator (TC), that handles all the paperwork and helps with file compliance.
- No Administrative or Junk Fees: We do not try to "back-charge" you for things we provide.
- Open House Coverage: If appropriate, we will expose your property to the market with multiple open houses, and follow up with any and all interested parties.
Have more questions about selling your home? Submit the following form and we'll get back to you right away.